This list of 20 “Facts or Factoids?” was fun to compile and we hope you enjoy them. They are compiled from around the web and reflect both what Biffa is saying about itself and people's views about this waste management company.
We didn't collect references to back-up these “rubbish” facts which range from newsworthy, to frankly mind-numbingly obvious! You judge whether they are fact or factoid! We would love your comments as long as they are constructive. We think they will reflect those of a successful service company.
(If you were wondering what “factoid means”. The Oxford English Dictionary defines a factoid as a brief or trivial item of news or information and as an item of unreliable information that is repeated so often that it becomes accepted as fact.)
1. Biffa is the leading UK nationwide integrated waste management business providing collection, treatment, recycling and technologically-driven energy generation.
2. It is the top UK nationwide integrated waste management business for caring for the environment.
3. The incoming boss of this waste management firm is planning to invest more in plastic recycling to cash in on a backlash against the impact of discarded packaging on the world's oceans.
4. The incoming boss of waste management firm Biffa is planning to invest more than ever in plastic recycling to cash-in on a backlash against the impact of discarded packaging on the world's oceans.
5. It is looking for a Site Manager within the Hazardous Waste Division.
6. It is one of the top three operators of landfill services in the UK and incorporates their unique dry waste treatment and recycling business.
7. Headquartered in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, it is a leading UK-based integrated waste management business.
8. With wastes increasingly being recognised as valuable resources, Biffa is at the forefront of the change from a disposal culture to a more circular economy.
9. It will continue its disciplined approach to capital allocation and to capturing further operational efficiencies by optimising its systems and processes.
10. The company will be delivering general waste management, dry mixed recycling, as well as glass and food recycling services to 35 Haven holiday parks and 13 Warner Leisure Hotels across the country, from Scotland to the South West.
11. The company handles the disposal of effluent and hazardous waste, provides industrial cleaning services and delivers waste reduction and elimination programmes.
12. They will also provide a bespoke on-site service, with dedicated contract managers available to be on hand to influence, enable and guide production plants.
13. Biffa will soon be implementing brand-new fleets in some of the boroughs were they deliver enhanced kerbside collection services. These will be equipped to handle the introduction of:
- textile, and
- small waste “electrical and electronic equipment” (WEEE) recycling collections.
14. They recently rolled out a new scheme to collect North Somerset resident's rubbish in a bid to be more effective.
15. The company will also dispose of effluent and hazardous waste and roll out waste-reduction programmes.
16. Biffa will provide a bespoke on-site service, with dedicated contract managers offering advice to production plants.
17. They will offer general waste management, dry mixed recycling as well as glass and food recycling services to 13 Warner Leisure Hotels.
18. The food waste collected by them will be processed at Poplars anaerobic digestion (AD) plant, at Cannock, Staffordshire.
19. Although the company does not operate solely in the UK, around 90 per cent of its turnover is accounted for by its British operations.
20. Recycling as much as possible is what Biffa does best.
21. They don't have a help-desk. But, you can tell them what your issue is, and they can try to provide tips on your best course of action.
22. They don't have an online help desk for customer service, but you can call them on the phone.
23. Biffa has lined up a new chief bin man.
24. The company has two fully automated Material Recycling Facilities (MRFs) located near Birmingham and London and has a processing capacity of 400k tonnes per annum.
25. Biffa has two mixed waste separation plants that recover recyclable material and prepare residual waste into fuels for energy recovery.
26. They have one of the largest waste collection networks in the UK, providing waste collection and recycling services to industrial, commercial and public sectors.
27. Though the company has brought its accident rate below the average for its sector, that rate is still notably high.
28. This integrated waste management group has on occasions maintained its full year forecasts after a strong first-half performance.
29. It has 7,900 employees and is the highest among its top 10 competitors.
30. The organisation has acquired 5 companies and a recent purchase was Weir Waste Services Ltd.
We hope you enjoyed reading our 30 points above, about this venerable company. If you have comments to add, they are welcome. Just use the comments section below.
More About Biffa (from Wikipedia)
Biffa Group Limited is a leading UK waste management company headquartered in High Wycombe, United Kingdom. It provides collection, recycling, treatment, disposal and technologically-driven energy generation services across four operating divisions.
Biffa service over 2.5 million households and collect 4.1 million bins per week within its municipal division, and has over 72,000 industrial and commercial customers.
As of 2017, it is the second-largest UK-based waste management company in terms of turnover. Biffa is the largest waste management company in the UK in terms of volume collected and national coverage, collecting over 250,000 bins per week and covering 95% of UK postcodes. via Wikipedia.
Note: These 30 points of interest are provided to entertain and enlighten our readers about a well-known company. We do not intend to offer any criticism of the company, none is intended nor should be inferred from the above.